Monday, April 18, 2011

Bobby Boucher...


As much as I wish Bobby Boucher was a real person who knew how to play goalie, played for the Philadelphia Flyers and was currently in my house to bring me a desperately needed glass of H2O it will not happen. So in his stead we are left with his two halves---the young and streaky Sergei "Bob" Bobrovsky and the reliable and understated Brian Boucher.

As much as I hate the incessant bickering and who-sucks-more-finger-pointing the annual Flyers goalie controversy brings, Bobrovsky's performance on Saturday was down-right atrocious and vindicates the conversation. Especially if he is going to be our Number one goalie through the playoffs.

When you let in three goals on seven shots and your idea of stopping a 3-on-1 is simply to get as low as possible and beg the shooter to go high, then there is something wrong. Maybe he is blinded by the playoff light, maybe he doesn't care about the playoffs and wants to return to Russia, maybe he just doesn't have the stuff. The list goes on. While he could easily come back and be brilliant in game 3, I think there is something to be said for how the team and Boucher played after Bob was pulled in game 2. When Boosh is in net he never looks overly spectacular and, to be honest, can look pretty awkward at times. But the truth is, the team played differently after he was in net. It wasn't until he was between the pipes that I saw the same team that went to the finals last June. Maybe it was the fact I was 7 hours into drinking at Bloomsberg Block Party or maybe it is my incredible hockey insight but I really think that Boosh is best for this team. While Bob may be able to make some great saves and steal a game our team is built on defense and consistent play. If the Flyers are allowing too many odd-man rushes and open shots then the Flyers are not playing their game and will most likely lose. If they are succeeding they are playing solid defense and getting consistent goaltending. In my opinion that consistent goaltending is going to come from Brian Boucher. I mean come on, fucking Michael Leighton was our goalie in the finals last year. We dont need Bob or Boosh to play spectacularly, we simply need our defense to play to its potential. Chris Pronger wouldn't hurt either.

Well now that I wrote this entire post, Philly.com has just confirmed that Boosh will get the nod for the Flyers in game 2. I should be Lavvy's consultant. Just saying.


Tim Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment