Friday, October 8, 2010

2008 Champions- A night to remember



I don't know about any of you, but I think this might be the most beautiful picture I've ever seen. Sure you can see his sack peeking out from under his coat. And I don't usually condone the burning of trash (come on it's bad for the earth). But goddamn when can you ever get away with that shit?! Well apparently you just have to win a couple baseball games.
If you're not from Philly you might not realize that's city hall behind him. But the majesty that was this night was all started by a team who represent this city- we're scrappy, intimidating, and tough. Fuck all that ESPN shit abouthow were the worst fans in sports. We care. More than we care about our school, our jobs, maybe even our family. If you're playing us, we hate you. If you're not, we probably still do. And with good reason. But I digress.
This night, which is one of the greatest nights of my life, was something I wish everyone could have experienced. I've never had a team win it all. Never felt what it was like to be "World Fucking Champions!" I can remember when Brad Lidge struck out Hinske I jumped out of my seat, threw my arms up, and couldn't say a word. I didn't know what to do, what to say, or even how I felt. It was like a dream. Like that hadn't just happened. I stood there in awe and thought about the history that I had just witnessed. Then all of a sudden I was brought back to reality with the hundreds of screaming freshman in the dorms. We all grabbed our shit.
When we got outside there was about a thousand kids already running down Broad Street to Center City. I've never seen so many happy people in my life. And I was one of them. I was unified with each and every one of them. I ran the whole way there, giving high-fives to the few drivers who's cars that were still on the street, yelling at the top of my lungs, and enjoying every second of it.Cars were flipped, bus stations destroyed, taxis run over, and of course, riot cops harrassed.
What ensued that night was the most beautiful destruction I will ever see. I don't expect it to ever be that way again but it may come close. Anyway, we set to get under way with Oswalt on the mound. He's been the man since we got him. Off the top of my head I think 7-1 with an under 2 ERA. Lets show these Reds what Pete Rose knew. They gonna have to cheat to win.


Jorgen- Fuck Me, Gotta Love Philly

No comments:

Post a Comment