Saturday, October 9, 2010

Phils Win Behind Reds' Suckiness, Ultey's ODDyssey.

How bout that 7th inning?

A few years ago, Joe Blanton called Chase Utley the number one player he'd build a team around. "He walks, hit-by-pitch, he grinds out at-bats. He's a clutch hitter, steals bases, plays great defense. He's a competitor. I've never played with somebody quite like him," Blanton said.

Fast forward to Friday night. Utley blows that double play, brings in a run. Verrrrrry un-Ut. Next thing you know we're down 4-0, and I'm reminiscing about Cole Hamels' terrible game 2 last year in the NLDS, leading to us having to battle it out at Coors for 2 more games. But I forgot we were playing the Reds.

First of all, they're jerseys were really pissing me the fuck off last night. I mean, why is Cinc on one side and Innatti on the other?
I'm no design expert, but this just seems off. But oh yeah, this is Ohio we're
talking about...

Anyways, the game. Utley is basically the embodiment of the team last night. Screws up in the beginning. Comes back, gets that bases loaded hit, cuts the lead in half. Then, things get interesting. Ardolis Chapman is that one pitcher on the Reds staff that is really supposed to scare the Phils, he shuts down lefties and will certainly do the same to us. But then he let one of those 100+ fastballs get a little to close to ball (and babe) magnet Chase Utley. As he is so used to doing, the man takes his base. Did it hit him???!!!?!? Who knows? Who cares? The game went on, no going back. Was he safe at second???!!!?!? Who knows, who cares? Did he touch third base???!!!?!? Etc etc etc, I won't bore you. All I know is at Chickie's and Pete's (where my white ass watched the game), whenever he does something utterly amazing (see what I did there with the whole "ut" thing???), they play one of my favorite Harry Kalas quotes of all time...check around the one minute mark


Anyways, we got it done. We looked terrible in the beginning. Oswalt just didn't have it. But we made it a win. See, that's the difference between us and Cincy. We've been here four straight years. We know how to just get away with postseason wins. And yet, we did it in style. And oh yeah, a little help from Jay Bruce and the stadium lights, although I'm more inclined to believe J-roll saying it was the rally towels, cause that's way more badass. In my mind, the crowd was not gonna accept a loss at home to the Reds, and simply had to intervene and get the job done. Just another reason why Phillies phans might just be the coolest and most attractive people in the world. Like these three fine individuals.


I've already probly written too much, but here's the sign off. Cole is gonna show up in Cincy on Sunday, and he ain't letting them anywhere near this series. Bring the brooms. And let San Fran and ATL duke it out at Turner Field all week. I'm not scared of either of them in the slightest. I mean, Lincecum eats his own snot. Seriously.

9 more wins baby. PHUCK YEAHH

PHUCK YOU, LOVE PHILLY

-Sean Martelli

No comments:

Post a Comment